Sunday 23 November 2014

No 23: The Godfather



Today was the christening of my Goddaughter - Amelie-Rose Gale. I've never been a Godfather before and I'm honoured to be chosen. The Vicar asked the Godparents to write some words of wisdom that can be referred back to in times of trouble later in life. We read them during the service, so to go with my picture, here's mine. Unfortunately my fancy camera ran out of batteries before the ceremony, so I only have a pic taken with my phone... of the church. If the parents give me permission I'll add a picture of the young lady herself.
Sunday 23rd November, 2014
London, UK

Dearest Amelie

When I was young, my dad would sit me down and teach me about the world. At the time, most of what he said to me sounded like nonsense, and I would simply nod my head with a smile and say ‘sure thing dad’…

But, as I grew older - and especially once I has started work - I began to find myself in similar situations to the ones he told me about and I could begin to understand where he was coming from. Now I look back and I’m glad he took the time to pass on his knowledge.

So this me attempting to do the same thing for you. Some of the things I’ve written here may not make sense at first, but come back to this letter from time to time and hopefully, one day, something here will help you when you are in a bind.

1. Learn to recognise ignorance in others quickly. It will save you a lot of wasted energy.
2. You can’t fix the world on your own.
3. Don’t be afraid to admit you've made a mistake. It’s not a crime to change your mind.
4. How you look and who you are not the same thing, but expect people to think that they are. With this knowledge you will be stronger than them.
5. If you can’t decide, go with your gut instinct.
6. You are more capable than you think you are.
7. Always look twice and and when you do, look for longer. Things are rarely as they seem on first glance.
8. Think for yourself. Make sure that the decisions you make are your own.
9. If you are not the smartest person in the room, make sure you know who is.
10. Be humble, be gracious, be polite and always be yourself.

I hope something here will help you one day…

Lots of Love

your Godfather,

Denis-Jose


Church of the Holy Cross, Greenford, London UK. 23rd Nov 2014




No comments:

Post a Comment