Friday 21 November 2014

No 21: phở the last time

I've been a regular visitor to the Washington DC area for the last 19 years. In fact, this was my 19th visit, so I guess it's become an annual event. And so as I come to the last day of my 2 weeks holiday I find myself craving to eat phở.

On a much earlier visit - way back in 90s - I was introduced to Vietnamese phở by my friend Russ. phở is a massive bowl of beef broth soup with noodles, meat, bean shoots, chillies and other herbal adornments. It's very popular in this part of the states too, much more so than in the UK - there seems to be a phở joint at every strip mall and shopping center in Fairfax county at least. So whenever I'm here I make a point of eating phở and it always turns out to be on my last day. I guess that makes it tradition now.


Vietnamese phở, Eden Center, Falls Church, Virginia. Nov 21st 2014
This time round we went to a place in the Eden center (can not remember the name now). The second picture is the equally amazing fried chicken wings that I had as a starter.

Spicy Fried Chicken Wings, Eden Center, Falls Church, Virginia. Nov 21st 2014
 Why hasn't this cuisine taken off in Europe to the same extent? this is the perfect lunch as far as I'm concerned...

No comments:

Post a Comment