Saturday 22 February 2020

Exploring and settling in


and suddenly it was 2 weeks later.

Yes, that’s right, I started my new job… and any idea I had about things being easy (which I actually I definitely didn’t have) were certainly laid to rest. Along with the settling in and figuring out Canada, I very suddenly had to settle in and figure out a new job. Thus, no blog write ups.

But today is Gavin’s Birthday, and I’m not working (well, it is Saturday) and we don’t have any specific plans. So while he snores gently away I thought I could get a few words in.

Firstly, Canada is still great. Montreal is turning out to be a really interesting place. I knew it would be, but its nice to have that confirmed. Its so different here from other Canadian and US cities, yet it still feels like North America. I feel like we are getting the best of three worlds. Firstly, this is one hundred percent Canada. Secondly, there is the influence of European culture here - specifically French and British. Lastly this is very much a north American city - Architecture, Street furniture, layout, Media, etc.



We’ve spent most of our time downtown, largely because that’s where we are staying, but we’ve really had a through look around. Despite the biblical weather (for another post I think), we’ve made a huge effort to look around different neighbourhoods, to help us with our home hunting. Turns out that Montreal is extremely walkable. Aside from the underground city (again, another post), the different neighbourhoods are close enough together and well connected by public transport that its really easy and quick to get from one to the other. So far we have looked around La Plateau, Little Italy, Mile End, NDG, Monkland Village and Westmount. (NOTE: Some of these areas are subsections of each other and overlap. I know this now. No need to correct me!)

We've also managed to sort out nearly all of the admin stuff - Social insurance numbers, health insurance, bank accounts, phones etc. All a lot easier than I expected. And we’ve found a place to live. More about that in yet another blog. Damn, so much to write about!

No comments:

Post a Comment