Monday 18 September 2023

おはよう ございます Sendai

barely slept, Jet lags a bitch but we knew that. Turns out that today was a public holiday. Respect the elders day! Japan has a lot of holidays. for all sorts of things. Alas I don’t count as an Elder yet (only another 6 years to go to hit 60 though) But everyone here is super-respectful nonetheless.

its a strange custom in japan, but on public holidays one of the widely considered holiday meals it KFC. yes, I’m talking about Kentucky Fried Chicken. So we went to the local KFC and bought a bucket and some other bits. 


Came all the way from Montreal only to find out that the colonel has branched out into some Canadian food action.

I had a chicken Teriyaki Burger with soft poached egg sandwich alongside some regular chicken and rice (home made). Probably a bit too much for lunch, but I’m holiday so fuck it.


how did this become a holiday tradition in Japan? let me google that for you:


https://eosmarketing.it/en/kfc-created-christmas-tradition-japan/#:


And then the thunderstorm rolled in, which kept us inside for the rest of the afternoon, apart from a brief trip to a pharmacy (still on a quest for distilled water) and a short walk to a very good Coffee Shop - Flat White Factory.


Coffee here is a huge contrast from North America. I’m not going to rant about coffee in Montreal, but even the drip coffee here is better. And in the coffee houses they do it perfectly. Amazon coffee and amazing presentation. This was the first place I ever saw Latte Art - back in 2008 - and its still some of the best I’ve seen anywhere. I didn’t take a pic. will remember to do so later.


Much to my pleasant surprise one of my favourite types of noodles has recently become popular here - Tan Tan Mein or Dan Dan Noodles - depending on where you are. They are originally a Chinese Szechan Dish, but in recent years its gained popularity across both Asia and North America. The first time (and still the best) I ever had it was actually in New York in 2018.








The kids have grown SO MUCH. thats such a grown up thing to say, but its true. last time I saw these sprogs they were all pre-teen. But a lovely little gang - Luke and Anna are very proud parents and so they should be!


No comments:

Post a Comment